Sunday, October 18, 2015

MST3K Half-Month: Of Satellites: How watching Robots make fun of Bad Movies Shaped My Sense of Humor




I still remember my first riff.  

I was about fifteen, my parents were out of town and I was on Easter break.  MST3K had just begun airing in syndication; I had been deprived of the show for years  because our cable company didn’t have Comedy Central (and it wouldn’t for another three years).   It was somewhere past midnight when I turned on what would one day be my local CW affiliate and heard it: “the hat from Breakfast at Tiffany's is coming in for a landing.”  I would later learn that that was Mary Jo Pehl’s first ever riff for the show, and when Pearl Forrester became my favorite character it felt like kismet.




It would be another few years before I would get to watch the show regularly, when it was picked up by the Sci-Fi Network, which my cable company did have.   When I started watching I never stopped; the show got its fingerprints on my heart and it started tutoring me in the ways of Rowsdower and Big McLargehuge. 

There’s something unique to the show’s humor that made me feel happy; it may center around tearing down cheesy b-movies but there was never anything really mean about the show’s humor (in fact, Kevin Murphy has said in the show’s episode guide that actually hurting somebody was something the show explicitly tried to avoid) .  Tom, Crow and their designated human actually care about the characters they watch suffer and grow onscreen in a hands-on way, and they’re the first to protest when the movie pulls a trick too cruel (best example: Joel encouraging the robots to rewrite the fate of Carrie from Girl In Lover’s Lane , delivering a bit of perfect advice. “It’s just fiction, I mean you don’t have to accept the ending they hand you.”).   The characters and their relationships are engaging enough to make you care about them, especially the pathetic and yet menacing Doctor Clayton Forrester, our Big Bad, and his hapless, innocent assistant for most  of the series, TV’s Frank.




The Sci-Fi years introduced a rather surprising upheaval to the world of Mike and his robot pals; they would be tortured by Pearl, and eventually her assistants Bobo, a large semi-intelligent ape and Brain Guy, an omnipotent being from another world forced to live with Pearl after his homeworld is destroyed.  Pearl was everything to teenage me; being presented with a woman my size who was in total command of the situation and of her own immediate world was a revelation.   The show itself continued on its merry way until cancellation brought it to a permanent halt in 1998.

Seriously, when will my eyeliner game be this strong?


By then it was firmly one of my favorite series, and the idea of losing the show felt particularly unacceptable.  Thankfully, the series’ writers split off into two separate performing troops a few years after the show folded; Joel Hodgson’s Cinematic Titanic and Mike Nelson’s Rifftrax.   Cinematic Titanic folded recently but Rifftrax continues to expand, allowing fans to relive their MST3K memories in a new context.  They stream four live shows a year to movie theaters nationwide and release commentary tracks and video riffs monthly.

Joel Hodgson, meanwhile, hosts a yearly Thanksgiving  marathon on the official MST3K stream run by Shout Factory.  Featuring original host segments it’s a sweet blast of nostalgia that greets Riff fans on a yearly basis.


As for me, I filled the void the way a lot of people my age did back in the day; I wrote stories, and participated in the lively fan community the show still boosts.  I still attend Rifftrax streaming events and participate in the traditional circulation of the tapes – or in this case, circulate links to fan-uploaded copies of every single episode ever produced by the show.  When the episodes come out on Shout Factory's expansive and beautifully-crafted DVD sets, they're the first things I buy.  And whenever I find myself mocking a movie ever now I hear Tom Servo’s expansive bass and Crow’s complaining treble in the back of my mind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment